Pages

Monday, September 9, 2013

Brew Day: Chocolate Stout

A few days after I brewed the Pumpkin beer I brewed up a chocolate stout.  The idea is based on mixing a Southern Tier Pumpking and Young's Double Chocolate Stout.  I find this combo to be much better than straight pumpkin beer.  The sweetness from the chocolate stout cuts the spices in the pumpkin beer and makes it have a more desert-like flavor you would expect from a pie.

Brew day was super smooth - except for one thing.  I forgot to take the OG reading.  So, other than that I am hoping it turns out great.

I have since transferred both beers to the secondary vessel.  I made two-gallon batches for a total of 4 gallons.  I have one gallon of straight pumpkin, one gallon of straight chocolate stout and then a two gallon batch of the two beers mixed.  Cocoa nibs have been added and they are set to age for two weeks before bottle day.

I will follow up on bottle day with the FG readings and any tastings prior to hitting the bottles.  The beer should be ready to taste in the second week of October.  A perfect week to start drinking pumpkin flavored beers – NOT August.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment