Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Tasting Day: Pocahontas Pumpkin Pie Ale

I feel like this day was 4 years in the making.  I have made 3 pumpkin beers in the past.  All of them way below "decent"  The first one was just a spiced amber ale.  Lame.  Second one even worse. Bottle bombs.  Third one.  Worse yet. Infected.  So what do you have this year?  A real pumpkin beer!

Every year trying to brew this beer I learned something new.  I was finally able to put it all together and make a good pumpkin beer.  This beer was my take on the Pocahontas Pumpkin Pie ale from last years Zymurgy issue.

It's a pumpkin beer I can drink.  I don't really like pumpkin beer so this is a strong compliment.  The spice levels are just right.  Not overly spiced or under spiced.  The malty sweetness is ok.  It could be a tad sweeter to push it more into the "pie" flavors.  The carbonation is a bit high.  It would be great if it was smoother and lighter levels.  It might bring out the sweetness a bit more.

After the past 4 years I'll consider this beer a big accomplishment.  Now I can finally start to change and update the recipe to work better for my tastes.  Lowering the carbonation, using a more flocculant yeast and mashing a bit higher to keep some more residual sugars for the final beer will be step one.

Let fall officially begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment