Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Brew Day: Pitchfork Black

Last Sunday I brewed up a batch of my Imperial Stout.  This is really one of the first times I have tried to duplicate a recipe.  I have made multiple versions of the sour red base beer but that never tastes the same based on conditions, yeast, bugs etc.

The last time I brewed this beer it was pretty awesome. It was thick, roasty, bitter and sweet.  It was described as being chewy because of how thick it was.  In the cold winter months this beer is just what the doctor ordered.

The beer is essentially an American Imperial Stout.  High on bittering units with all of the usual stout players.  This versions is inspired by the local brewery East End Brewing.  They make one of the best stouts - Blackstrap Stout.

My version uses 3oz's of blackstrap molasses, 3 oz or dark brown sugar and 12oz of heavy roast coffee.  The molasses and sugar are added with 5 minutes left in the boil and the coffee is added at flameout.  Centenial and Cascade hops add the bitterness (along with the molasses) and floral nose that can make it seem like its a black IPA.

Fermentation was slow to start.  The basement must be too cold.  (Time to look into a fermentation jacket that can warm up my beer as needed.  After one day in the basement I moved it up to the main floor of the house and it kicked into full gear.  It has been steadily bubbling away for the past 5 days.  I will rack to a secondary vessel for about a month and then bottle them up.

Fingers are crossed it turns out just as good as the last batch.

Notes:
12-7-14 - Brewed
12-8-14 - No signs of fermentation
12-9-14 - Moved to a warmer location
12-10-14 - Signs of fermentation
12-17-14 - Moved to secondary

No comments:

Post a Comment