Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Brew Day: Sour Stout - 2015 Vintage

With  only a week or two left for the wine to ferment out we are about 3 months away from the time to fill the third and final barrel in the Vorpbrew household.  I plan to put the acid solution into the barrel to prepare it for the wine a month prior to when we think it will be ready.  I am going to leave it in a bit longer (acting as the holding solution) hoping that this will strip more of the oak flavor from the barrel so the wine and any beer to follow does not have as hard of a time stripping out the oak flavor. Three batches into my Cab Sauv barrel and the oak is very minimal and the smell and flavor it is producing is awesome.

With that said, I brewed up the 2015 version of the sour stout.  The flavor is awesome in the 2013 version and I am just waiting on some bottle testing to determine how to finally bottle and enjoy that batch for the next year or so.

Same recipe as last year so nothing new to report - other than it is bubbling away in its first run through fermentation. The earliest this will see the oak barrel is 4 months.  I am going to try to extend it out to 6 months.  I brewed a 5 gallon batch so the remaining gallon will come from the current sour stout batch I have.  This process helps keep with my solera method.

Within a month I plan to have tasted the bottle tester to see where we are with the 2013 batch. Look for a very excited post (hopefully).

No comments:

Post a Comment