Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Brew Day - Saison - New Zealand Funk

Today I brewed up a saison.  This saison is different than my last batch.  This one is highly hopped and hopped with New Zealand hops.  I was listening to the sour hour when Sante Adairius Rustic Ales was a guest and they discussed West Ashley, an apricot saison with Chardonnay grapes.  This reminded me of a post from the Mad Fermentationist: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2014/08/new-zealand-saison-and-glycosides.html

I decided to combine the two.  The hops used all have descriptions of stone fruit, citrus fruit and white wine.  Seems to be a perfect fit for the Chardonnay wine addition along with apricot puree.

The brew day went pretty well.  I did have a pretty large boil over which resulted in me getting less than 5 gallons or wort into the carboy for fermentation but that's OK.

There was also a lot of trub.  With 6 oz of hops going into this beer just for primary it had a lot of green left behind.

I added the yeast at 80 degrees since the saison strains love warmer worts.  I used the White Labs French Saison vs Wyeast this time. I hope to get similiar results.  The description online does not mention fruit like the Wyeast so hopefully its just a more tame version of the Belgian Saison strains.

I will update as the beer progresses.

UPDATE:
After about 10 days the airlock finally started to slow.  It was a slow and steady fermentation.  I'm sure the Brett Trois ate through some sugars that the French Saison yeast couldn't.

The smell from the airlock was anywhere from super fruity - almost like fruit flavored bubblegum - to super funky.  The fruity scent has to be from the hops and the French Saison yeast while the funkiness is coming from the Brett Trois and the French Saison yeast.  If the Whitelabs French Saison is anything like the Wyeast strain, this beer should have a more subdued funk and a bigger fruit nose.

I transferred the beer into a secondary carboy along with 96oz of canned apricots.  The beer is currently undergoing another round of fermentation with the added fruit sugars right now. I will give it about 2 weeks to chew through those sugars before putting into a keg and a few bottles.
 


1 comment:

  1. It is much interesting to read. Very nice post and thanks for share this post. I also want you to visit the site Holiday cottage

    ReplyDelete