Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Brew Day: Three Blind Mice IPA (Formerly 100% Brett IPA)

Brett Trois (White Labs 644)  is not no longer Brett.  I have seen it called Wild Saccharomyces.  Saccharomyces Trois just doesnt roll off the tongue like Brett Trois.  The beer that this yeast makes is wonderful on the palate though - especially IPA.  My favorite IPA and close to my favorite beer I have ever brewed was the previously named 100% Brett Trois IPA.  Currently going to call this beer 3 Blind Mice keeping with my barn theme and of course a node to Trois.

Here is the description from White Labs:  This strain, used traditionally for wild yeast-like fermentations, produces a slightly tart beer with delicate characteristics of mango and pineapple. Can also be used to produce effervescence when bottle-conditioning.

Wild-yeast-like fermentation.  Key phrase.  This yeast certainly acted like a 100% Brett fermentation when I brewed it last.   So I made a starter this time around.  Last time the brew day crept up on me and I did not have time to make one.  This should help kick the fermentation off faster and produce and even better beer than last time. 

Brew day was pretty simple.  I did replace the hop extract with regular old Centennial hops.  I just added enough to the beginning of the boil to reach my target IBU.  I got a gravity reading of 1.066.  Two points shy of where I wanted to be but still really good.  This beer really dried out.  I expect it to go below 1.010.  Beersmith says 1.007 is the estimated final gravity.  We will see how low it goes.

The only thing I am going to do this year is add a bit of 100% Mango juice.  I want to push the beer one step further towards that tropical fruity flavor that the hops and yeast were giving the beer last time.  It also continues my experiment with wine and fruit juices in beer.  I will post some notes as they happen.




No comments:

Post a Comment