Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

100% Brett and Sour Red Updates

Preparing to transfer the 100% Brett (Better Bottle on the right)
and check in on my test 2 gallon of sour red
I'm a little late in posting this but on Sunday (2-10) I had to move the 100% Brett to the secondary for another month of maturing and thought it would be a good time for an update.

The 100% Brett is at 1.014 with at least another month to go and smells fantastic.  I will try it before I bottle in mid March.

I also decided to check in on the red sour that I am trying to salvage. I added some Brett to the already lactic wort that was stuck at 1.022. Hoping the Brett would eat some more of the sugar I hoped to see a drop tonight. It came in at 1.020. Barely moved - if at all.

After a brief back-and-forth with The Mad Fermentationist via email I have taken his advice to add some of the French Saision yeast from Wyeast.  This stuff sounds like monster yeast that can help restart a stuck fermentation and also get beer pretty dry.  I'm just hoping to get the beer to drop a bit more so some more of the sour flavor can come through.  It currently tastes too sweet with that extra sugar in there.  If it does not drop by this time next week I will just bottle a few 750ml bottles and see what happens.

I will be adding the Wyeast tomorrow and check back in on Wednesday or so to see if our gravity is moving down.

Fingers crossed.



No comments:

Post a Comment