Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Funky Flanders Red Sour Saison - Quick Update

24 hours after pitching the French Saision yeast into my stalled Flanders Sour Red there is some small airlock activity.  Since it was already down to 1.022 I can only see this as a good sign that any activity is showing.  I was expecting it to just kind of sit for a week and then I would find out at the end of the week if anything happened by taking a gravity ready.

I will follow up if the activity increases with some timing just to keep track of how this yeast is chewing through this lowered pH beer.

2/19/13
Still chugging along.  Very encouraging.  I was reading reviews on the Northern Brewers website about the Wyeast Belgian Saision which is closely related to the French Saison.  In these reviews someone posted that "with agitation, some of the CO2 is released causing the PH to increase, allowing the yeast to again become active." 

Since my beer was probably suffering from pH issues I decided to give it a try.  I don't know if this is helping or not but it has been 3 days of a slow steady re-fermentation.

2/23/13
I think refermentation has finally come to and end.  It really slowed down on the 21st but after shaking the bucket and releasing more CO2 it seemed to pick up and go for another 10-12 hours before slowing again.  I shook the bucket yesterday morning and didn't see any airlock activity last night or this morning.

Took a gravity reading today and it was down to 1.012.  Pretty impressive for a beer that has been stalled for over a month.

I took a taste sample and did not get too much of a sour flavor.  I had a lacto starter going for the next test batch I was going to make tomorrow.  I think I am just going to pitch that into this beer and let it sit for a week to sour some more and then just bottle and see what I get.  At this point, even if the beer turns out great, it is going to be hard for me to recreate a beer that came about because of two - almost three - failed batches.  I have good notes and the different recipes in Beer Smith but it would still be hard to replicate.  Overall, very happy that this beer will at least make it to a bottle for a testing.

Next up will be a taste testing day in about 3 weeks.

3/3/13
Not enough sour twang.  Going to let it sit for another week with some lacto added.  I made a lacto starter by creating a 1.030 wort and adding some crushed grain and keeping it at 100 degrees for three days.  Strained and added the liquid.  Will most likely bottle Wednesday no matter what and just get this beer out of the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment