Pages

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Mixing Day - Testing

The clcean Dark Dawn stout that I brewed was ready to move to the secondary last weekend.  I used this time to do a test mixing to see where I thought the final ration may come in.  I started out by doing a one-to-one ration.  I did this by mixing 1.5 oz (shot glass) of soured stout with 1.5 oz of the clean stout.  I mixed them back and forth in two glasses to ensure everything was mixed well and then took a sip.  To my surprise the it was still very sour.  I only pulled a few ounces to I had enough flat beer to give it another try. 

This time I did a 2-1 blend.  Two parts clean and one part sour.  Amazingly this was too clean.  I had the lady of the house try this blend to make sure I did not blow out my taste buds on the first one.  She tried the 2-1 blend without having the previous blend and agreed.  Only slightly sour.

So where does this leave us now?

When its time to do the final blend I know that its going to fall somewhere in between 1-1 or 2-1 blend.  I like to keep round numbers so I am going to try 1.5-1 and then go from there to either 1.25-1 or 1.75-1.  Hopefull one of those three solutions will work for our tastes.

No matter the solution, I am going to need to make another clean batch to help finish the rest of the sour beer. The most I need based off of this preliminary blend is 2 gallons out of the 4.5 to 5 gallons that  I have soured.  I only need to save one gallon to put into the new barrel once its ready. I should have about 1.5-2 gallons left over for blending with a new clean beer or I can decide to save it and just have it to up the sourness in any other beer I create moving forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment