Pages

Sunday, March 8, 2015

"Brewery" Update

Finally had some time off this weekend.  Naturally, I spent some of it working on my brews.  The clean stout was done and ready to mix with the sour stout.  Measuring and mixing everything together was a fun process - but a difficult one.

In my previous post I mentioned that the 1:1 ratio was still too strong and that a 2:1 ration was too clean.  I knew I was going to be somewhere in between.

To make sure my previous tasting notes were accurate I did a 1:1 test first.
Wasn't as bracing as the first tasting.  Weird. It was 100% a sour beer .  No hint of stout flavors coming through though - this was just a calmer version of the very sour straight beer.

I then moved to the middle point with a 1.5:1 ration of clean to sour beer.  This gives me 60% clean beer mixed with 40% sour.   I was tasting the roast and toast flavors up from and then a sharp acidic bite at the end.  First tasting the was multidimensional. Promising.

Next up was 1.75:1.  This is roughly 63% clean.  Essentially I was reducing the sourness by 3%.  Amazing how quick the mix can change the beer because no there is no strong sourness.  It has tartness but not sourness.  It drinks like a thing stout that has a weird aftertaste.  If you think about it, Guiness is said to have 3% sour beer.  That little percent makes a pretty big difference in Guiness so it only makes sense that dropping down 3% makes this beer a much different beer.  In the end, not what I am looking for.  I want you to drink this and know that you are drinking an American Sour.

Final mix was a 1.25:1 or 55% clean vs 45% sour.  This one had minimal stout flavor with a very sharp sour edge.  Only slightly less acidic than the 1:1 ratio.  This shows that the 5% less sour was very minimal in the over flavor compared to the 50-50 split.  This probably has to do with my personal threshold for sourness.  I assume once it gets to a certain point the sourness is so strong it just blows out the rest of the flavors to a point that you cant pick out as easily.

The straight sour stout that I am using for mixing is coming in at 3.3 on my pH strips.  According the the American Sour Beers book my Michael Tonsmeire, sour beers can range from a pH of 3.0 - 3.9.  A beer that has a 3.9 reading would be tart and and a beer at 3.0 would have bracing acidity.  He goes on to suggest that beers below 3.0 are probably best used as mixing.  I felt that my taster bottle was too sharp and too acidic to really enjoy.  It was fun to try but I would have a hard time drinking and sharing 5 gallons of that straight. The final thing that he mentions is that the pH scale is logarithmic.  Basically each point is equivalent to 10 times more or less acidity.  So a beer that that is off by 2 points is twice as acidic.

Keep in mind lactic acid is going to be softer than acetic acid.  So the readings are not the sole determining factor.  I actually prefer sharp acetic bites to my sour beers.  I love the Flanders Reds.  I use plastic buckets which let in more oxygen which will contribute to the production of acetic acid. I will do a test on the mixed beer once I bottle on Tuesday to see what my pH strips say.

This first mixed batch comes in at roughly 3.75 gallons.  I am going to do two gallons straight an the rest on some of the must we saved from the wine.  This is a Pinot Blackberry.  I will add a bit of oak cubes to replicate the barrel flavor that we will get from my third barrel once it is up and in production.

I will update later this week with a pH reading and how the final blend tasted going into the bottle.  I hope that the three days mixed together will let the two flavors meld together a bit more and create a bit more rounded flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment