Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Brew Day: Le Singularite

This past Sunday I brewed up a 3 gallon batch of Le Singularite.  This is a recipe pulled from the Wild Brews book previously mentioned.  Wheat, Pilsner and Acid malt made up the grain bill and one strain of Brettanomyces. 

Since Brett yeasts create the acid and esters commonly found in sours I am expecting this to have some earthy esters with a slight tart finish.  I do not think it will get to a full tart and dry sour beer since the recipe states that fermentation should only be about 1-2 months (depending on the temprature)

Mash was low temperature and longer - 90 minutes.

The mash had some trouble straining on the first pass and it looked like a wet sandy beach.  The batch sparge runs after the initial drain were fine.

I collected 4.5 gallons of wort for the boil.  I figured 1.5 gallons of evaporation in a 90 min boil.  I actually ended up with 2.5 gallons of wort after the boil.  I added another half gallon of clean water to the carboy and measured the gravity at 1.060.  Only 0.01 off from what BeerSmith was predicting.

All in all, I think everything went smooth.  Now it's time to watch the fermentation to see how long it takes this Brett to get going.

Updates as they happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment