Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Brew Updates

So - it's been a while but I figured I would update where I am on some things

  1. Wallonia Nights - After a month in the secondary I decided it was time to bottle my Dark Saision.  It went in the bottle two weeks ago.  I will be cracking into that one this weekend for a taste to see if it needs to sit longer and mature in the bottle some more.  I will most likely do a tasting post on that one later this week.
  2. Nugget Warrior (working title - I will most likely change this based on how it tastes since it didn't turn into the Nugget Nectar clone I hoped for) -  This was in the secondary for 9 days and then I dry hopped it for an additional 6 days.  I will say this much - the color was not what I was looking for but the aroma and hop presence is large.  Can not wait to try this one.
  3. Test Sours- I found out the hard way...  I had my original batch of soured wort and I brewed a clean batch to mix the two into different proportions and BOOM! I open up the 2 gallon bucket I had the clean beer in and to my suprise lactic bacteria took over. No wonder my gravity stopped dropping. I know some people say it is possible to clean plastic after having a sour in them but you should just save yourself the trouble and get separate equipment.  So, now what?  I mixed some of the soured wort into the 2 gallon batch of now soured red ale and decided that it is probably going to have enough twang that I am just going to pitch the dregs from a Monk's Cafe Flemish Ale and a bit of the Belgian Sour Blend from Whitelabs and just let it sit for a month or two. I will bottle it into some 750 ml bottles and see what happens.  Who knows... maybe something good will come of it.
Wild Brews book from Amazon
Good news is I will have two beers ready to taste very soon and report back on.  The bad news is that I need to restart my sour testing.  I'm off to the LHBS to get some more carboys (girlfriend is going to love that) and make a 2 gallon batch of soured wort and a 3 gallon clean batch.  So here is whats on deck:

  1. Quick Sour Tests
  2. Singularite Brett - A pale ale
    fermented with only
    Brettanomyces Claussenii.
    This is a recipe pulled from the
    Wild Brews
    book
  3. Sour Stout

Lots of Brett cultures flying around in the basement now.  Hopefully I can do a good
job and keep things separate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment