Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Project Plan: Funk with Less Fuss

I have been working hard to recover a few beers that have not quit turned out. I have combined them, used multiple yeast cultures to get through a stuck fermentation and this Frankenstein beer (may be a good name for it) is coming to an end.  I can finally get back to testing some more methods.

I found the article "Funk with Less Fuss: A Shortcut to Sour Beers" by Matt Lange in Zymurgy. Without knowing it, I have been somewhat doing this procedure that he outlines in my previous testing.  It was probably outlined in another blog site or message board and  I started to use that process. Here is the general run down of what I did:
  1. Mash
  2. Cool collected wort
  3. Add a handful of crushed grain to the wort.
  4. Let grain and wort sit for 3 days or until the pellicle formed
  5. Strain pellicle and grain from wort
  6. Boil wort as normal
  7. Cool wort
  8. Add yeast
  9. Wait.
I ran into these problems:
  1. Fermentation go stuck
  2. Beer was not "clean".  Even after a 60 minute boil I saw signs of lacto taking hold - mainly a pellicle.  I don't know if this was from a contaminated bucket or what...
This is what lead to the Frankenstein Beer that is currently being called Funky Flanders Sour Saison in my previous posts.

Here is what Matt outlines in the article though:
  1. Create a Lacto Starter - as described in earlier posts
  2. Let starter sit for 3 days
  3. On last day of the lacto starter mash your grains
  4. Once all wort is collected bring the wort to a boil.
  5. Cool wort to ~100 and pitch the liquid from the lacto starter
  6. Let the wort and the starter sit at 100 for 18-24 hours.
  7. Boil wort once the acid level is to your liking
  8. Cool Wort
  9. Add yeast 
  10. Wait
The one main thing I see is that the wort was boiled twice to kill of bacteria after mash and during the main 60-90 minute boil.  Maybe my mash had some nasty bacteria present that just messed with the beer.  Maybe I soured it too long and the pH just dropped to far out of range of the California Ale yeast from White Labs.  Bottom line is that my method did not work out too well and I don't intend to try it again.

I have the grain and yeast to begin a new test batch which I plan to start this week.  The batch I have will make 3 gallons.  I will do the the process from the Funk with Less Fuss article but at step #9 listed above, I will ferment three different ways.
  • 1 Gallon will be fermented with an Ale yeast (5 weeks minimum)
  • 1 Gallon will be fermented with 100% Brett Brux (8 weeks minimum)
  • 1 Gallon will be fermented with Mixed Culture yeast at higher temps as outlined in the Flanders Red Ale recipe in Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow. (11 weeks minimum)
Each type will increase with age but should also increase in complexity.
They will all sit on oak cubes during their secondary stages.

I will save a bottle from each sample and have one day where we will test them side by side.  This will come after I grade them on their own.

This Wednesday I will start with making the Lacto starter.
I will post updates as they happen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment