Pages

Monday, December 23, 2013

Tasting Day: Angry Dwarf Holiday Ale

I cracked open a taster bottle for the Angry Dwarf Holiday ale last week when we were trapped in our new house due to the ice storm.

What better time to enjoy a holiday ale with a big punch to help combat cabin fever?

It will head out to the Vorp holiday party tomorrow to see how the crowd likes it.

Appearance - Deep ruby red with a thin beige head.

Smell - Sweet Cherries, hint of the honey may be some of that sweetness smell. Alcohol. Clove. Banana. Maybe even "cough medicine" could be used to describe the smell. No hops.

Mouthfeel - Medium mouth and medium carbonation. Seems to be right for the type of beer.

Taste -Big strong cherry and honey flavor with the traditional trappist yeast flavors in the background. Very easy drinking.  As it warms the alcohol flavor shows up and the Belgian yeast flavors start to take over.

Overall -  I tasted this on Saturday and then a Mad Elf on the following Tuesday. They are clearly different as mine has more sweetness fruit flavor than the Mad Elf.  I find it to be just as good - if not better - though.  I don't know if I would really change anything.  I think it's a great beer.  We will do some side by side tasting tomorrow.  Maybe I will post the results.

Ho. Ho. Ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment