Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Sour Stout - Update

It has been about 14 months since I made my stout that I soured with the mixed culture from Wyeast.  It has been sitting in the plastic bucket this whole time.  I checked on it around the 11 month mark and it didn't even have a pellicle  yet.  I figured I would let it go a few more months.  What a difference those months made.

Large grainy looking pellicle along with a huge dank aroma.  To be honest, I was afraid it went too far at first.  The smell was pretty bad.  Once i punctured the pellicle to draw out a sample though I realized all was right.  The smell was perfect and the taste was mouth-puckering tart.

I took two carb tablets and put enough into a champagne bottle to see how it carbs up over the next three weeks.  If all goes well I plan to bottle by the end of June or early July.  The idea is to have these ready for consumption late August or early fall.

Super excited to see how this one turns.  I will also know if I need to brew a new batch and have it ready in another 16 months.

Check back later for the tasting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment