Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Bottle Day: Mixing and Matching: Funky Flanders Sour Saison

The day has finally come.  I bottled the Funky Flanders Sour Saison or Frank (short for Frankenstein) beer.

I did not get too much sour flavor from the FFSS by itself. It had "something" but it was not too tart. Really curious how this one develops.

With the lackging sour bite and because I ran into so many problems with this beer, I decided to try mixing with some different beers I had on hand to see what kind of flavors I could get.  Here is a run down on the 6 different types of beer.

Bottles and beer ready for mixing.
First I will start with the beers used for mixing.  A brief description of each beer that I tasted before mixing.

  1. Funky Flanders Sour Saison - Frank - strong red with some saison and some lactic flavors
  2. Spigs Sour - over 4 years old.  Real nice and tart.  Serious, Serious funk.
  3. Singularite - This is my 100% Brett C. beer.  It is a nice light pale ale with some fruity notes from the Brett and a bit of dank flavors - nothing too crazy.
  4. Roosters Red - I found the bottles I saved from my first "Quick Sour" test.  And quess what?  They taste a bit better and developed a bit more flavor in month 3 in the bottle.
Six different bottles and varieties made from 4 beers.
With these I made 6 different varieties
  1. 100% FFSS - Frank
  2. 66% Frank and 33% Spigs Sour
  3. 66% Frank and 33% Roosters Red
  4. 66% Frank and 33% Singularite
  5. 33% Frank, 33% Singularite and 33% Spigs
  6. 50% Frank, 16.67% Rooster, 16.67% Singularite and16.67% Spigs.
I primed each bottle with 1 tsp. of priming sugar.  This is the first time I did not batch prime so I hope it goes OK.

Due to all the flavors that have just been mixed I plan to check back in and do a tasting of the 100% FFSS Frank Beer in three weeks.  After that I will drink the ones that are just a mix of two, then three and then the crazy one at the end with 4 mixes.


No comments:

Post a Comment