Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Funk with Less Fuss - Phase 2

Lacto starter. Small pellicle showing on the top.
A nice sweet sour smell.

Phase 1one in the Funk with Less Fuss project was creating the lacto starter.


I made the lacto starter for the Funk with Less Fuss experiment on Wednesday night.  I check the starter yesterday morning and it looked perfect.  A very thin pellicle with a strong sweet/sour smell.  From previous experience I learned that it does not take long for the sweet sour smell to fade into nail polish.  So after getting the Sour Stout put to bed I moved on to the Funk with Less Fuss brew.

I mashed in my grains as usual.  This recipe is based of a clone for the Duchesse De Bourgogne that I found in a thread. After a 75 minute mash I brought the beer to a boil to kill of any unwanted critters.  It boiled for ten minutes.

Once the wort cooled to 110 degrees I strained the grain from the lacto starter into a picnic cooler.  The idea is to hold the temperature right around 100 degrees for 24-36 hours.  

Since I want this to be noticeably sour, I am going to let it sit beyond 24 hours.  Only problem is that I have to work on Monday. By the time I get home and start the boil it will be getting close to 42-44 hours from inoculation. 

I will taste/check in on the wort tonight and see where it stands.  I think I can chill the wort down so it does not encourage as much lacto growth if it is closer than I expected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment